Golf Cart Ordinance
Effective August 22, 2018
343.01 Definitions: A “golf cart” is a motor vehicle as the term is defined under O.R.C. 4501.01(B). This section may also apply to other under-speed vehicles at the discretion of the Chief of Police based on the definitions set forth in the Ohio Revised Code, as amended from time to time.
343.02 Restrictions: No person shall operate a golf cart on the streets within the City of Huber Heights unless the golf cart has first passed an inspection by the Chief of Police or designee for compliance with the State of Ohio’s requirements that are applicable to motor vehicles and such golf cart contains all equipment required by this Ordinance.
343.03 Equipment: A list of equipment required for safe operation by the Ohio Revised Code Chapter 4513 shall be maintained at the Police Division, and shall include:
- Two working headlights.
- At least one working taillight and one working brake light.
- Directional signals.
- A rearview mirror.
- A white light illuminating the rear license plate legible from a distance of 50 feet.
- A working horn.
- Windshield made of glass or safety glass.
- Two license plates; one in the front and one in the rear; bracketed to the cart.
- One seat belt per occupant.
343.04 Licensing Requirements of Operator:
- No person who is less than 16 years of age shall operate a golf cart on the streets of the City.
- The operator of a golf cart on permitted streets within the City must hold a valid current motor vehicle driver’s license.
- No person who is the owner or operator of a golf cart shall fail to display, in plain view on the front and rear of the golf cart, the distinctive number and registration mark, including any county identification sticker and any validation sticker.
343.05 City Inspection:
- No person shall operate a golf cart on the streets within the City unless the golf cart has been inspected for compliance with the State of Ohio statutory requirements that are applicable to motor vehicles and the Codified Ordinances of the City entitling the owner or operator to secure a title and license for the golf cart.
- The owner of the golf cart shall provide proof of insurance at the time of inspection.
343.06 Usage and Restrictions; Waiver:
- No golf carts shall be permitted to travel on any City street where the speed limit is greater than 25 mph. Golf carts will be permitted to cross intersections with higher speeds, so long as they remain on a street that has a posted speed limit of 25 mph or less.
- Occupants of golf carts shall be seated at all times on the seat of the golf cart buckled by the seat belt when the golf cart is on and in motion. Standing on any portion of the golf cart while it is in motion is prohibited.
- Any child who falls under the child restraint criteria set by Ohio R.C. 4511.81 is prohibited from being a passenger in a golf cart operated on any City street, right of way, or public area in the City of Huber Heights.
- No person shall operate a golf cart on sidewalks.
- Golf carts must be operated in accord with all State of Ohio traffic laws in addition to all applicable sections of the City of Huber Heights Codified Ordinances.
- The provisions of this section may be waived during a limited period of special events for which the operators of golf carts have received prior approval for the use of golf carts from the City’s Chief of Police or designee.
343.99 Penalty: Whoever violates the provisions of this Chapter is guilty of a minor misdemeanor on a first offense. On a second offense within one year after the first offense, the person is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree; and for subsequent offenses within one year after the first offense, the person is guilty of a misdemeanor of the third degree.