Frequently Asked Questions about Zoning Permits

Do I need a permit?
The following structures require permits:

How much does a Zoning Permit cost?
Costs very depending on thetype of permit. For structures such as storage sheds, patio covers, detached garages, room additions, and swimming pools, the cost is $30. For information regarding fees for other permit types, contact the Zoning Department at (937) 237-5815.

Who can apply for a Zoning Permit?
A property owner or authorized agent (contractor, architect, renter, etc.) may apply for a Zoning Permit.

Can construction begin without a permit?
No, a Zoning Permit must be obtained prior to beginning construction.

How long will it take to get my Zoning Permit?
Once a complete application is submitted to Zoning, the permit is generally issued within a week.

I would like to build a deck. Do I need a Zoning Permit?
No, the City does not require a permit for a deck built in the backyard on the first story of a structure.  Please contact Montgomery County Building Department at (937) 225-4622.

I live in Huber Heights in Miami County, who do I contact for a building permit?/
All Huber Heights residents, regardless of the County they live in, should contact the Montgomery County Building Department at (937) 225-4622.  The City of Huber Heights contracts with Montgomery County Building Department.